The application deadline is February 15, 2019. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline. Only applications submitted through the official online application will be considered.
Applicants should be students who have a strong interest in and academic aptitude for STEM. A record of relevant academic achievements or professional excellence will be considered, along with leadership skills and the ability to collaborate well in group settings. Applicants must exhibit serious commitment in sharing the skills learned when coming back to Libya, and demonstrate flexibility, open-mindedness, good social skills and maturity. Applicants must also understand that, if selected, they will be expected to fully and seriously participate in all program components during the week, as well as in follow-up activities afterward in Libya. All Space Camp activities are conducted in English, therefore English fluency is required.
- Must be 15-17 years of age as of February, 2019.
- Highly proficient in English;
- Must currently attend a High school in Libya and be committed to remaining enrolled in high school in Libya after returning;
- Demonstrate strong leadership potential and interest in STEM
- Sustained high level of academic achievement or professional excellence, as indicated by academic and other awards;
- Demonstrate a commitment to community and extracurricular activities;
- Have had little or no prior U.S. study or travel experience in the United States;
- Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and inquisitive;
- Willing and able to fully participate in an intensive summer program;
- Comfortable with campus life, shared living accommodations, travel and interaction with a multinational group of participants from all over the world. Able to adjust to cultural and social practices different from those of their home countries.
- Parents please note: Space Camp participants are housed in all female or all male dormitories and will be chaperoned by Libyan adults representing the 2019 U.S.- Libya Space Camp Scholarship
Only Libyan citizens currently residing in Libya will be considered for this program.
Online Application Requirements
- Biographic and academic information, including a copy of the applicant’s school certificate.
- A motivation letter in English (max. 500 words) explaining the applicant’s involvement with STEM, past achievements and future aspirations, reasons for wanting to participate in the U.S. Space Camp program and how the experience would support the applicant’s personal development, school, and community.
- A letter of consent signed by the applicant’s parents.
- A two minute video featuring the applicant only answering all three required questions in English. The video must be uploaded to YouTube and include the link in the online application. More details below
Application Video Directions
- Step 1 - Create your two minute video answering the following three questions:
- Question 1: Why is it important to explore other planets?
- Question 2: If given the chance to explore a planet, which one would you choose and why?
- Question 3: How will a visit to USA Space Camp impact your life?
- Step 2 – Upload the video on YouTube. It cannot be longer than two minutes.
- Step 3 – Paste a copy of the link in the application form below.